Friday 18 September 2015

Flash Back Friday

As I start my second year of university next Thursday, I thought I would look back at the final project of my first year. 
I think this project marks a turning point in my work, as before this I used to struggle ALOT with using colour and compositions. However, seen as it was my last project I decided to just do what I liked and refine what I was doing instead of just shovelling out loads of work that my heart wasn't really in. As well as this I created colour studies and referenced these when collaging. I also added more colour and marks using Photoshop, just to give a professional finish. 










 This project also made me release how much I liked collaging. Before this my experience with collaging wasn't great, and I would be really messy with the scissors/glue. But as mentioned before I discovered using a scalpel to cut shapes out a much easier process than cutting out with scissors. 

Looking back I made two collections: 'Under The Sea' and 'Coastal Wander' (that first started off as 'Coastal Finds'), it makes me think that perhaps I would be good at designing for children and stationery. This is something that I hadn't considered before as I always thought interiors was my 'niche'. 






I am super excited to go back to university (I study Printed Textiles & Surface Pattern at LCA) plus we get a bigger desk and wall space to fill YAY, and work on my preferred style of working which currently is collage! 
I have chosen to focus my first project on Allotments and Growth, so basically lots of vegetables and British insects! I will keep you updated with how that goes too :) 

For now though, I am going to be super busy moving house this weekend and going to London with Amy from The Creative Outlook on Tuesday for the London Graphic Centre blogger event, which will be my first one, exciting!


If you want to look at my first year work it is all on my website at:


10 comments:

  1. These illustrations are so gorgeous – I particularly love the second one, the octopus is super cute!

    Robyn x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Robyn, I really appreciate it :) x

      Delete
  2. Superb work!
    AND printed on wall paper, stationery and fabric, it looks amazing!
    Enjoy your blogger event too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay thanks so much!
      The blogger event was great. It was so fun to meet like minded creatives.
      Currently blogging about it now so keep your eyes peeled :D

      Delete
  3. I love the illustrations so much, your final project looks amazing. Good luck with second year!

    The Velvet Black // UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Alice, thats so kind of you! :)

      Delete
  4. I love the illustrations so much, your final project looks amazing. Good luck with second year!

    The Velvet Black // UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the illustrations so much, your final project looks amazing. Good luck with second year!

    The Velvet Black // UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grr just typed out a whole comment and my stupid computer refreshed the page!! I hate having to use this old thing.

    but ANYWAY, i loved your last project!! Your illustrations are so cute and I love the colour scheme.Also cannot wait for out little London trip! eeeeeee :D xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just seen this comment Amy haha aww bless you :( :( Silly computers!
      Thanks so much haha hopefully I can keep it up this year D: D:
      London was so great <3 Now to blog about it haha xx

      Delete