Tuesday 17 January 2017

Ferens Art Gallery reopening and Hull 2017

On Saturday me and Rob took a visit into Hull for the first time in a while. We have been avoiding the centre due to all of the building and road works being done for Hull City of Culture 2017, so we would just do all of our shopping etc in Leeds. But seen as it is all nearly finished and I am home for a few days, we thought it would be nice to visit Ferens Art Gallery as it reopened on Friday.

Multi media collage - Sarah Bynes
I have fond memories of Ferens from secondary school, after my art teacher entered my very weird mythical creature into a competition and it was exhibited. This was the first time I was encouraged to pursue art so I am forever grateful to this tutor. Without his encouragement I definitely wouldn't be where I am today! 

The gallery has exhibited some great work in the past, including work from Andy Warhol, David Hockney and Barbara Hepworth. The newest part of the gallery is a collection of local artists work, which at first appears to be a bit of a jumble, but it is nice to see work that is different and quirky. 

Artist Unknown
Lino print - Isabel Willock
We also decided to pay a long overdue visit to one of our favourite cafes in Hull - Thieving Harrys. It is a mid-century style cafe on the Marina, down Humber Street which is an up and coming area in Hull that has also had a major revamp for Hull 2017. 


Our view in Thieving Harrys of the Marina <3

My favourite graffiti down Humber St. 


Little door doodles and old shop signs

This little trip has made me super excited to see what this year has in stall for Hull, as there are so many events happening and places being refurbished as well as new places opening. It is a very cultural city with lots of friendly people and the best chips and gravy. What's not to like?!




1 comment: